Every wedding day has a soundtrack of its own—from the walk down the aisle to the first dance, the bouquet toss to your final farewell, music helps set the tone for the entire day … which is why your DJ or band has such an important role. To help you better vet the candidates, we’ve compiled this master list of questions to ask wedding DJs and band.
First things first, you’ve got to figure out the basics … like, is the DJ or band even available on your desired date. The answers to the following questions will help you get a sense of how experienced the candidates are.
- Is my wedding date available?
- How long have you been doing this professionally?
Why you need to know this: Obviously, there’s a difference between volunteer gigs and legit, paid performances. Make sure your candidates are seasoned so there are no hiccups on the most important day of your life!)
- How many weddings have you played?
- How long have you been performing together (if you’re interviewing a band)?
- How many weddings do you do in an average weekend?
Why you need to know this: If the band or DJ is playing ’round the clock all weekend, they’re performance might suffer. If they’re running on empty, you might want to rethink booking them.
- Do you perform at more than one event in a day?
- Will you be the DJ/bandleader personally be playing at our wedding? Which band members should we expect?
Why you need to know this: Bands usually have a roster of performers, and might alternate who’s playing based on their availability. If you’re choosing a band based because you love one musician or singer in particular, make sure they’re the performer who will actually be playing your wedding.
- Have you done events at my wedding venue?
- What sets you apart from your competition?
- Can you describe your style?
- Are there any other services that you provide, such as lighting design or a photo booth?
- Can you provide me with recent couples that I can contact for references?